Thursday, July 9, 2015

Fourth of July... Korean Style!

I really do mean to make more frequent posts about my trip, but then suddenly I realize it's been nearly a week since I've made a post and need to make another ASAP.

Going all of the way back to the Fourth of July, it turned out to be a very successful celebration. I had a nice quesadilla brunch with my host family, then went to Hangang Park with Carina and Daria. It was really interesting to find such a quiet park in the middle of such a big city. People here were not in a big rush. Many of them were either biking around the forest path or camping, simply enjoying each others' company. It was unexpected, and it felt like we weren't in the big city anymore because of the relaxed atmosphere. The only reminder came from the high rise buildings all around.

We eventually got some fried chicken from Kyochon for dinner (very delicious!!!), and took it to the Banpo Bridge to watch a special water show. Fountains shoot off the side of the bridge, and colored lights illuminate the water as it moves, creating a unique effect that looked gorgeous at night. Being away from the US, we figured this was as close to fireworks as we would get.


Just as we were getting ready to leave, a huge fireworks show started across the river. What a nice surprise! My host mom told me that many American foreigners live in Itaewon, so they were probably setting off the fireworks to celebrate.


I had fun at the Banpo Bridge. Again, it felt so much different than the rest of the city. People were having picnics and just talking. The pace really slows down here, and it's a nice contrast from the busy city life that surrounds it.

Happy Super Belated Fourth of July! I hope you all had as great of a time as I did!!

No comments:

Post a Comment